Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses

Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Purchase: The Book Depository
Rating: 
❝ When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.
sincerely wanted to like this book, I really did, but it left me feeling underwhelmed. To sum it up, A Court of Thorns and Roses did not live up to its hype.

The book started out really promising with a chilling scene in the woods and a focus on survival. I figured that set the tone for the rest of the book, but the scenery changed pretty quickly and soon enough starving wasn't an issue anymore. My main issue with this book was that the pacing was really bad. Barely anything happened at the spring court, apart from lots of walking around, dining and painting. The scenes that did contain some action, didn't make me feel anything either, unfortunately. Then, the last seventy-five pages or so were incredibly fast paced and action packed. The trials felt like a rushed last minute addition. I would have enjoyed those scenes more had they made up a more significant part of the story. 

Another thing that kept me from truly enjoying A Court of Thorns and Roses was the fact that I didn't really like Feyre. I couldn't help but find her annoying. She was made out to be such a bad ass at the beginning of the book, yet spend at least half of the story whining and getting herself into stupid situations that she was advised against. I also thought she was rather shallow with the way she focused on looks. Her character was somewhat redeemed during the trials where she finally live up to her reputation, but that was a bit too late. 

Last but not least, I wasn't a fan of the romance. Feyre seemed like a very changeable person, hating the 'beast' at first sight, yet quickly changing her mind and kissing him the next. It seemed to me that the sudden change wasn't even based on anything other than desire and Tamlin's looks. I didn't feel any chemistry, did not care what happened to them. Moreover, it kind of slaughtered the original telling too. It took the Beast and Belle a long time to feel kindly towards each other, to even have a normal conversation, let alone fall in love, whereas it took only mere days for Feyre and Tamlin. 

Though these things disappointed me greatly, the writing tone was easy but descriptive which made the book a quick read. In addition, the world-building was detailed and wonderful. Despite everything, I could envision myself in the Faerie kingdom, as is always the case when I'm reading one of Maas' books. I'm sure many readers will enjoy A Court of Thorns and Roses, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

2 stars because:

✓ World-building
✓ Enjoyable writing tone
✗ Bad pacing
✗ Romance based on nothing
✗ Annoying protagonist
 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...