Book vs. Movie: Where Rainbows End/Love, Rosie

◆ Where Rainbows End/Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern
◆ Directed by Christian Ditter
◆ Seen March 2015
◆ Purchase the book: The Book Depository
◆ 
❝ Rosie and Alex have been best friends since they were 5, so they couldn't possibly be right for one another...or could they? When it comes to love, life and making the right choices, these two are their own worst enemies.
I'm slightly (really) late to the party, but I only got to watch the movie last week and I could not resist a book vs. movie comparison. While the movie was definitely swoon-worthy and enjoyable, it wasnn't as inspiring as the book. I liked it less because many aspects of the story were changed or omitted.

Love, Rosie tells the story of Rosie and Alex who have been best friends since they were little children. They do everything together, but are forced to pursue different paths when Alex gets accepted to Harvard and Rosie finds out she is pregnant. As the story progresses, they drift apart, then together again as they both grow into adults, but events still keep them from truly exploring their romantic feelings for each other. 

In general, I thought that the movie followed the basic plot well. It portrayed Rosie and Alex' relationship perfectly, incorporated humor I recognized from the book and inspired emotions in me. The book is told entirely through correspondence, so it's only natural that the director had to make changes to the story in order to translate it into a movie. 


One major pro is that they kept some of the correspondence in.  I adored the conversations on MSN (mainly for nostalgic reasons) and it was cool to see the iPhone texts pop up on the screen.The book featured many characters so it's understandable that the director could not incorporate all of them. Combining Brian and Greg into one character was a really creative solution that worked out well. I was also infinitely glad that the director chose to keep Toby in, because he and Katie were lovely together and essentially younger versions of Alex and Rosie. Most of all, I was relieved to find out that the ending featured Rosie and Alex at a much younger age. My only complaint about the book was that they only got to be together well into their fifties. I'm glad that they decided to fix that!


Despite all this, many changes were made that I personally disliked. For starters I could not understand why they replaced Rosie's sister Stephanie with two little brothers. Or for that matter, why Alex's suddenly has a sister, while his original brother Phil is introduced as a random character in a bar. It felt useless to replace both siblings by other more uninteresting ones. Why not leave them out completely then? Alex moves to Boston because of Harvard, instead of moving because of his parents. He's also not the father of Sally's child, even though that was an important aspect of him growing up in the book. Most of all, I can't figure out why they decided to give the movie a different name. To make things more confusing, I'm guessing? 


Fortunately, the cast more than made up for the depressing list of changes. I could not have imagined anyone else as Rosie or Alex and the chemistry between was a bonus. Lily's only fault is that she looks youthful and as a result, Rosie did not seem to age throughout the movie.

To conclude, Love, Rosie is a wonderful romantic comedy with sweet moments and humor, but a lot less realistic or depressing, which (ironically) made the book so great. In my opinion the director deviated too much from the original plot points, with the result that I'm giving the movie three stars opposed to the four I gave the book. I still recommend this very much, but my advice is to not compare it too much to the book. 

3 stars because:
✓ Great casting
✓ Accurate portrayal of relationship/friendship
✓ Funny
✗ Too many plot changes
✗ Too many character changes
 

Brilliant Bookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...